Panama Photography is based in Albuquerque, New Mexico!

Meet PANAMA

The Importance of Having A Workspace

Business

The Importance of Having a Workspace | Emily Moore | Boutique Photo Editor

Find a Small Workspace in Your Home

I never thought that having an office space could have such a huge impact on my business. Now that I’m 3 years in, I can confidently say that one of the biggest pieces of advice I can give to any small business owner is to have a designated workspace you can operate your business from. This does not have to be an entire room! If you don’t live in a home where you can have a whole room as an office, then I strongly encourage you to find an area in your house that you can use for your designated workspace. It could be the in the corner of your bedroom, a nook in bonus room — anywhere that you can fit a small desk! Trust me — this is really important for you and your business, and today I’m telling you why.

Small Business Office Workspace

Avoid Getting Stir-Crazy

Having to work from home is already a really difficult aspect of running your own business. You don’t typically get a lot of interaction with people (unless you have kids or a spouse who works from home), and you can get a little stir-crazy. Because of this, you want to create an area in your home that helps you to feel like you aren’t stuck in the same place all day long. You spend your 8-hour workday in that workspace, and then when the workday is done, you leave that area and you don’t go back for the rest of the evening or weekend. Separating your work life from your personal life this way will help you to prevent feeling down that you never leave your home and will help you to stay even more focused on your work during your work hours.

Small Business Office Workspace

Keep Your Productivity High

When Zach & I moved into our first apartment, I had a designated room that was an office space for me, but it was reeeeally messy all of the time. We had combined our two apartments from college into one 800-square foot apartment, and we didn’t have enough space for all of our stuff. So for the year we were in this little space, a lot of our stuff just sat in boxes in my office. It was what we had to do, but it…was…AWFUL. I just couldn’t motivate myself to sit in there and work because I would get really overwhelmed by the mess. I hated being in that space, and I frequently worked from our bedroom or living room. As a result of this, my productivity suffered greatly. I would get distracted easily, and because I didn’t want to be working in my space, I found any excuse to get out and go do something else. This was one of the reasons I was overwhelmed by the thought of taking on more clients, and it hindered my business. Help keep your productivity high by making sure your office fits your needs and that it stays organized.

Small Business Office Workspace

Avoid Putting Strain on Your Body

When I was younger, I honestly sort of laughed at the idea that if you sit wrong at a desk or don’t hold your hands the right way while typing that you’ll have issues when you’re older. I never had issues with pain, so I didn’t pay any attention to it. Now that I’m older, I realize that this is actually a very serious concern and it does affect your body when you aren’t sitting properly. As I mentioned above, when I hated my office space, I would work from my bedroom or living room. I didn’t have a desk in either of those rooms, so I was propped up in my bed, or sitting on the couch. When I’d work from these areas, I’d start experiencing severe pain in my wrist. Obviously as an editor, this was a great concern for me, and getting carpal tunnel is now a serious possibility in the future. This is when I realized that I needed to make more of an effort to sit at my desk. Not only that, but I needed a desk and chair that was going to allow me to sit properly, so we sold the old chair and desk and upgraded to something that has been much better for me. Now, I don’t experience wrist pain as much when I’m working from my desk.

I can’t tell you how much of a difference it has made in my productivity to have a workspace that I love to be in. My furniture finally accommodates my needs for my business, and things can be organized and put away. I now only work from that space, so when I leave at the end of the day, I can leave behind any stress that comes with work. It’s done wonders for my business, & it’s one of the reasons I went from 2 to 15 clients within a year. So if you have really been struggling with your efficiency, try to figure out a way to have your own office space however you can! You will be so thankful that you did this!

Like my office? You can find some of the items here:

If you like this post, you may also be interested in:

My Top Tool for Fast Editing
Using May Books to Organize Your Editing Business

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

1. Naomi

July 28th, 2017 at 10:12 am

Can you please come fix my workspace?! This is beautiful and mine is awful. Sometimes I am just moving too fast to keep up with it!

2. Stefanie

July 28th, 2017 at 10:25 am

I loved reading this post! I´m working from home too and I never realized how important it is to have a real workspace. Something that is not “home”. When I learned that I also learned to get dressed before I start working haha

3. Hilary

July 28th, 2017 at 12:59 pm

Your workspace is beautiful! I love the white with little pops of color. I cannot get over those flowers and that pineapple!

4. Laura Beck

July 28th, 2017 at 1:02 pm

The space that I work in is so cramped and messy. I am craving a open, clean, refreshing workspace like like for sure. Time to redecorate! Thank you for the inspiration!

5. Stevie

July 28th, 2017 at 1:44 pm

I wish I had your workspace in my home!! So perfect!!

6. Ashleigh

July 28th, 2017 at 4:17 pm

Oh my goodness Emily, I’m so jealous of your fabulous workspace. I’m still sitting in the moving container transitional space from when I moved in with my boyfriend. It’s such a slow process, I’m just ready to be at the final organized space. Thanks for the inspiration to keep organizing!

7. Christie

July 28th, 2017 at 5:12 pm

These workspace tips are wonderful. As someone who works from home also, I understand the importance of creating a place where things get done!

8. Valerie

July 28th, 2017 at 6:16 pm

Your workspace is beautiful! I used to have a desk in a corner of my living room and just this year moved all my stuff into an actual office. It really helps to have a door I can close. Keeping it clean also helps me feel productive. I’ve still looking for the perfect chair though!

9. jamie

July 28th, 2017 at 8:45 pm

great workplace tips. for me, its all about having enough room- a clean, big desktop, and everything tucked away in drawers so it doesn’t look messy even when there’s a bunch going on. the zen of a clean visual space makes me feel more productive 🙂

10. Alyssa Bouma

July 28th, 2017 at 8:53 pm

11. Alyssa Bouma

July 28th, 2017 at 8:54 pm

I literally just set up my first real desk right before reading this! I have a lot more steps to take, especially making sure my workspace set up is healthy for my body. I LOVE how your space looks!!

12. Teresa

July 28th, 2017 at 9:23 pm

I love how you set up your workspace! I definitely need to work on my workspace. I have a super uncomfortable kitchen table chair that I use and my back is always hurting. It makes me not want to work! I love your workspace tips!

13. Sarah

July 28th, 2017 at 10:03 pm

your workspace is so clean and inviting. I love the blues and bright white spaces!

14. Sarah

July 28th, 2017 at 10:44 pm

It’s so important to have this kind of workspace in your home! Love your tips and ideas for making it perfect! Thanks for sharing!

15. Ashley

July 28th, 2017 at 10:53 pm

This is such amazing advice!! I’ve always struggled with keeping balance in my work life and my personal life, and I’ve found that setting aside a workspace has really helped me! I got a corner desk from ikea that keeps me faced away from all distractions and my productivity has definitely gone up!

16. April

July 29th, 2017 at 12:12 am

Your workspace is so pretty! You have inspired me to clean up my desk and organize my chaos!

17. Kerlyn Van Gelder

July 29th, 2017 at 12:37 am

This is so true! I just remodeled my spare room to become my studio space to work and have clients. It has such a positive impact on my work already and workflow!

18. ro

July 29th, 2017 at 12:45 pm

What a precious workspace. I hope to have one one day–it would be nice to finally have a room to myself and be able to work in peace.

19. Ali

July 29th, 2017 at 11:01 pm

Love your cute little workspace! And 100% agree, having a dedicated space has been such a game changer over the last several years.

20. liz cleland

July 30th, 2017 at 8:39 pm

I need to redo my office space. Right now I just sit on the couch in the living room. I want to be close to my family but it doesn’t do well for inspirational thoughts for work!

Be the first to receive educational content, updates, and more straight to your inbox!

to the newsletter