I’m SO excited to share today’s blog post with you – it’s been in the works for years (no seriously). Last week was our very first Emily Moore Boutique Photo Editing team retreat! I am still wrapping my head around the fact that I was able to host this editors retreat for my incredible team. I’ve been dreaming about doing this for the last three years. However, going into 2020, those plans were put on hold. With that said, I knew that this was the year we would make it happen. Earlier in the year, I started making preparations and began daydreaming about how this could look. Part of me worried that it would never happen – but today’s post is proof it DID happen! Moreover, it was even better than I could have ever imagined!
One of the BEST things about working as a private editor is that you can work from anywhere. However, there is a caveat to that – this means none of us have ever met in person before. Madelyn is one of the first associate editors I have ever hired (in 2019) and last week was the very first time we met in person – no joke! Getting to meet her and another one of my editors, Nicole, for the first time was such a blessing to me. They’re both incredible people and I am so thankful to have them working on my team!
Let’s rewind: back in February, I asked my VA, Jess, if she might be able to help me plan this editors retreat. Next thing I know, Jess is not only helping me brainstorm, but she’s offered to come and help out with everything. I am SO grateful that she was willing and able to come to help me with this event. I seriously could not have done this trip without her. She did an amazing job planning out our schedule, activities, meals…everything! Just wait until you hear about the things we did during our trip. Before we could begin planning, the first thing we had to do was survey my team. We asked them availability and location choice among some other criteria. We ended up agreeing on July in Asheville, North Carolina – from there we crafted an unforgettable getaway!
Unfortunately, not every team member was able to come and we missed them all a TON! I wish everyone was able to make it, but between the seven of us, it was tricky making the location and time work for the whole team. I know someday we’ll all get to meet in person – hopefully at the next editors retreat!
Day 1 of the Editors Retreat
Day of preparation and relaxation after a day of traveling
- Included sauna & hot tub time, grocery shopping, and a rush-hour trip to the airport.
- After we got back to the Airbnb to get Madelyn settled in, we walked around Black Mountain. However, we quickly realized that in tiny mountain towns, shops close early during the week! But the weather was pleasant for an evening stroll through the town and we watched as a summer storm rolled in.
- Tacos & Tequila Night!
- Started the trip off with a bang with a delicious taco bar and tasty margaritas (ya’ll know that’s one of my favorite meals!). Jess put together the most *amazing* assortment of taco fillings, complete with chips, guacamole, and salsa (mmmm take me back!)
- After dinner, we watched the summer storm roll out before hopping into the hot tub for some really great get-to-know-each-other conversations.
- Off to bed to get some rest before an early morning!
Here are a few photos, more to come in the next blog post! PS although I am a photographer and DID bring my camera, would you believe me if I told you I didn’t pull it out once? So iPhone photos it is!
Stay tuned for part two in a few weeks which includes river tubing, a visit to an incredible brewery, and drinks on the balcony of a five star resort!